28 March 2008

A little about me

Well, I'm not just gonna tell you my life story in 500 words or less. It's so much more interesting if you just watch the posts unfold and glean tiny details along the way. I will tell you that there are a number of fictional universes I escape into. Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, those are three big ones. I'll often refer to stories within them or the people who populate them as a kind of shorthand. The fictional people within these universes each represent something to me. I'm not going to tell you, you just have to read it and figure it out along the way. It's ok if you don't know anything about these universes, but I will tell you some of the names you will be seeing: Starbuck, Daniel Faraday, Ben Linus, John Locke, the Old Man, Saul Tigh, Gaius Baltar, Ben Sisko, Jadzia Dax, the beautiful Kate Austen.

I am also very interested in politics, so you'll be reading about the election a bit. I support Barack Obama, let me say that straightaway. I detest the current administration, like nearly 75% of the population, but I'm proud of the fact that I wrote in 1999 that George W. Bush would bring our country to ruin. I'm not really happy that I was right, but I'm proud of the fact that I've always known what a bad guy he is. I'm not especially patriotic. I love my country in my own way, but too often the flag-wavers are too eager to put America above the rest of the world. We are all on this planet together, straights, gays, jews, muslims, christians, french, african, men, women, children, something we would do well to remember.

I like horror movies, blood and guts splashed all over the screen. I loved Cloverfield, and I think that Rob Zombie may well be the best director to emerge in the last decade. I admire Orson Welles for his brilliance and courage. I've been moved by the words of Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, and Walt Whitman, among others.

I have a few friends I hang out with, but I don't really go out a lot. I don't go to bars because I'm a recovering alcoholic, 9 years in July. If I go out, it's usually to the cinema, the coffeeshop, or just for a long walk on a sunny day. I had a pretty bad stutter when I was a kid, still do, although it's not so bad now, except when I have to call someone I don't know. This may be one of the reasons why I'm nearly always the shyest person in the room, and why I've always found such satisfaction and comfort in writing. My fingers and hands work just fine, but my job is killing them slowly, making them itch, burn, and dry out. This may be simply a chemical reaction, but it may also be a message. My hands may be trying to tell me I need to quit my job. I know I need to quit my job, but I feel about that as I've felt about every presidential election I can remember: there are no good choices.

Anyway, that's a little introduction. There's more, there's always more, you'll see.

2 comments:

a bonsai said...

somehow, i like this "little about me" more. it feels like more of the soft, shy voice is being given a chance to write.

and it is much more aesthetically pleasing.

Kevbot said...

Very, very interesting! I look forward to reading your blog more.

Mine is http://kev-bot.livejournal.com/

If you see anything, uh, untoward, just keep going. I'm untoward a lot.