09 February 2010

"Here I am thinking that free will still actually exists..." -Dr. Juliet Burke, deceased


Here I am, trying to hammer out a post for the most recent chapter, "What Kate Does," and I am drawing multiple blanks. I see the suggestion of free will, the constant reminders that each of us chooses our own destiny, and I see the parallel between Claire and Danielle, who lost their babies and went seemingly mad alone in the jungle. I see Aldo, formerly the guy who fell for the Wookie Prisoner Trick, getting his ass kicked by Kate, and I see Sayid, risen from the dead and now infected, or claimed, by the Monster-Man In Black-Nemesis. I see James, mourning his love, and once again I sympathize with him: it started a while back, and you may not see it on first reading, or even second, but James, since he killed Sawyer, is the only one of the main characters to have redeemed himself. Everyone else is still broken, but James has become a community leader, a trusted man, a husband in spirit if not in law. Remember when Kate escaped from the marshal? She paid no attention to his briefcase, but we remember what she went through to get that case on the Island, not because of the gun, but because of the toy plane. Maybe the plane wasn't in the case this time around, because she never buried it in the NKOTB lunch box that she never got caught stealing, and Jacob never bought her the lunchbox because he was dead. Maybe Jughead killed Jacob? Who knows? The point is that I can't really come up with a cohesive thread for this week's post, so I'll just leave it there.

Stay tuned for my upcoming interview with Iroquois Pliskin, author of VersusCluCluLand.

2 comments:

seneferu said...

HOW do you remember all of this?! The lunchbox? What episode is that on?
Glad I can finally read your posts in real time :)
Hope you are well!!

Brian O'Blivion said...

Go way back to Season 1..I think it was called "Whatever the Case May Be." I remember it because this whole decade, while you've been going to school and being a teacher and a grown-up, I have been working retail and studying Lost like it's my job. Watch each episode 7 or 8 times, spend hours combing through and editing Lostpedia.. no big deal really. Wish I had a grown-up job.... Happy to see you are reading now, stay tuned!